Women & Menopause: Ensuring health and well-being
Consultant – Obstetrics & Gynecology
Aster Aadhar Hospital, Kolhapur, India
Menopause is the time in a woman’s life when her period stops. It usually occurs naturally, most often after the age of 45. Menopause happens because the woman’s ovaries stop producing the hormones estrogen and progesterone.
Some women reach menopause earlier than others. Menopause can often be followed by other diseases like hypertension, diabetes etc. These diseases can make them more vulnerable or at high risk of contracting Covid-19.
It is necessary to understand the concerns in this group, diagnose and treat them early:
- Health risks: At the onset of the menopausal stage, Estrogen, the female sex hormone is reduced or becomes deficient. This can affect the heart and blood vessels leading to increased chances of heart diseases and hypertension. Studies have shown that women tend to have lesser heart related conditions than men, before their menopause but the chances of those risks increase in equal to men once they reach the menopause stage. Women are also exposed to higher chances of cancers in this stage.
- Routine health checkups are necessary which include:
– Blood tests for Routine blood counts, Lipid profile, Kidney function tests, Calcium levels
– Cardiac workup, ECG, TMT, if required then angiography
– Bone densitometry
– PAP smears, endometrial biopsy
– Self breast examination, and if necessary followed by mammography, Biopsy etc
– Hormonal replacement therapy in some women, if required, with proper medical advice and supervision
- Proper diet and exercise
In addition to above, whenever any woman feels any changes in their body, they must consult their Gynecologist immediately to rule out any underlying conditions.
Aster Clinics and Aster Hospitals in UAE have dedicated health check-up packages for women. Call +971044400500 Aster Hospitals in India offer wellness packages across 5 States: Karnataka, Maharashtra, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.