Three healthy lunch recipes within 350 Kcal
Ms. Janani Satchithanantham
Sr. Dietitian, Aster Hospital
1. Grilled lemon herb mediterranean chicken with salad
Grilled lemon herb mediterranean chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon (1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper , to taste
- 1 pound (500 g) skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets (or chicken breasts)
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 large cucumber diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives (or black olives), sliced (optional)
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Whisk together all of the marinade/dressing ingredients in a large jug. Pour out half of the marinade into a large, shallow dish. Refrigerate the remaining marinade to use as the dressing later.
- Add the chicken to the marinade in the bowl; marinade chicken for 15-30 minutes (or up to two hours in the refrigerator if time allows). While waiting for the chicken, prepare all of the salad ingredients and mix in a large salad bowl.
- Once chicken is ready, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a grill pan or a grill plate over medium-high heat. Grill chicken on both sides until browned and completely cooked through.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes; slice and arrange over salad. Drizzle salad with the remaining dressing. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per Serving : Energy: 336 k cal, Protein: 24 g, CHO: 13 g
2. Chickpea chicken curry
A 30 minute easy and healthy recipe
Chickpea chicken curry
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, diced
- salt and pepper to season
- 3 tbsp peanut oil, or vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion , diced fine
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup drained low fat yogurt, or low fat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups overnight soaked and cooked chick peas
- Heat the peanut oil in a large heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown the chicken pieces for a few minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and add the onions and garlic. Cook them for a few minutes until they soften then add the turmeric, yellow curry powder, garam masala and cardamom. Stir them well into the onions and garlic and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Return the browned chicken to the pot along with the fresh ginger and and chicken stock. Cover and bring to a slow simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and chickpeas and simmer slowly for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve over whole wheat chapatti or plain basmati rice.
Per Serving : Energy: 309 k cal, Protein: 25 g, CHO: 17 g
Grilled salmon and with mashed potatoes and stir fry vegetables
A colorful and balanced seafood lunch that’s ready in just minutes.
Chickpea chicken curry
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 2 red, orange and/or yellow bell peppers, trimmed, halved and seeded
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 ¼ pounds salmon fillet, cut into 4 portions
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Brush zucchini, peppers and onion with oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle salmon with pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place the vegetables and the salmon pieces, skin-side down, on the grill. Cook the vegetables, turning once or twice, until just tender and grill marks appear, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Cook the salmon, without turning, until it flakes when tested with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, roughly chop the vegetables and toss together in a large bowl. Remove the skin from the salmon fillets (if desired) and serve alongside the vegetables.
- Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon basil and serve with a lemon wedge.
Per Serving : Energy: 281 k cal, Protein: 30 g, CHO: 36 g