Both play a major role in setting rules at home and beyond. In this scenario, they should:
- Guide children on the correct way to wash hands
- Balancing between children’s school work and house chores
- Make home cooking fun to ensure safety
- Develop activities for kids to stay busy indoors
- Ensure the house is clean and in order (it makes a tremendous difference on the mood)
- Maintain a routine – Early to bed and early to rise, keeps a family healthy, wealthy and wise
- Try and keep at least one activity outdoors to catch the maximum sunlight
- Make a positive narrative around staying indoors since it will make a big difference to the kids. They will see the world through your eyes, so keep it positive.
- If you make it about more family time, kids will be thrilled as most are seeking extra family time with the current urban lifestyles
- Biggest moment in history that our kids are living through, so make the kids document this
- Play games to engage the entire family. Try the super fun Fitness Monopoly.
- Reintroduce the love for the physical copy of books [Refer to our section on books for all ages ]
- Make sure everyone does eye exercises to reduce the stress from use of devices
- Kitchen fun with kids
- Yoga with the family
- Zoom calls with cousins and grandparents and friends so that they don’t feel neglected
- Care for family members at high-risk [Refer to our section on Individuals at High Risk ]
Parents should understand that what they are going through isn’t unique and a lot of people share their concerns and worries. Being connected through an online tribe helps cope. In all this routine, moms as caregivers may face burnout and feel that free time has disappeared suddenly. Some great ideas that can keep moms occupied are:
- Virtual coffee with mom groups
- Support groups to relieve stress
Rekindling love through reading is one way couples can cope through the period. Some recommended books are; The Magic of Thinking Big by David J Schwartz which inspires you to change your environment and upgrade your quality of life. Another good read is The Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz.
It is also important to tell the relatives that social distancing is being observed for the safety of all. Zoom and Skype options can be explored to stay connected yet distant.