Does double masking increase protection against COVID-19?
Dr Zeeshan Anwar, General Practitioner, Aster Al Rafa Poly Clinic, International City, Dubai
Does double masking really reduce COVID-19 transmission as per CDC reports?
Double masking significantly highlights the importance of a good fit and effectiveness to slow the spread of COVID-19 as per the latest CDC guidelines.
One has to start with a surgical mask and you just put a cloth mask on top of it. It gives an excellent filtration and it is quite safe and effective in controlling the transmission of COVID-19 by providing a barrier to block the respiratory droplets and reduces the exposure by about 95%, especially when we have new mutations of the virus around the globe.
What additional Covid-19 precautions can be taken?
Additionally, we have to follow the standard protocols when wearing a face mask:
- Washing our hands or using a hand sanitizer before putting on a mask is very important.
Do not touch the mask while wearing it
- Make sure the mask covers your nose and mouth and is well secured under your chin.
- Social distancing is equally important as using masks by maintaining 6 feet distance
- Avoid crowds and gatherings
- Always cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or in the inside of your elbow
- Frequent hand washing with soap for at least 20 seconds or by using hand sanitizer containing 60% alcohol
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces like door handles, mobiles, laptops etc.
Points to keep in mind
- In case of any symptoms such as fever, cough, sore throat, headache or shortness of breath, consult a doctor immediately.
- Get vaccinated as early as possible especially high-risk individual such as the elderly and people with chronic medical conditions like diabetes, hypertension etc. Talk to your family doctor if you have doubts regarding the vaccination
In order to consult with a doctor, you may avail Aster’s tele-consultation services by booking an appointment at https://asterhospital.com/ or https://asterclinic.ae/
You can also have your medications, masks and sanitizers delivered to your doorstep in UAE with Aster’s e-pharmacy. Check Asteronline or call/whatsapp +971800700600