COVID – 19 vs Influenza
Dr Shilpa Murthy, Aster Clinic, Arabian Ranches, Dubai
Influenza and COVID-19 are both contagious respiratory illness but are caused by different viruses.
Some key differences to distinguish between both are:
- The COVID-19 virus spreads faster and easily as compared to the flu
- The COVID-19 virus can cause serious illness and complications in some people.
- Takes longer before people show symptoms of COVID – 19, unlike the flu.
- People with COVID-19 can be contagious for a longer period of time.
- Additional symptoms like change or loss of smell and taste is common with COVID-19.
- There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19.